I have planned to take MEng in Canada. Most universities offer one-year courses. How many years of work permit will I get?

Asked by Charumathi over 2 years ago

Answers 1
Japjyot Singh

Japjyot Singh

Study Abroad Expert

Most MEng courses in Canada are approximately two years of duration. Applying for a Master of Engineering in Canada is a significant step. Mechanical engineering, a master's degree in civil engineering, engineering management, chemical engineering, and other engineering fields are among the many options available to Indian students.

The most well-liked master's in engineering programs offered in Canada and their costs.

  1. Computer Engineering – ₹ 4 to 27 lakh
  2. Chemical Engineering – ₹ 5 to 34 lakh
  3. Electrical Engineering – ₹ 7 to 25 lakh
  4. Mechanical Engineering – ₹ 8 to 29 lakh
  5. Engineering Management – ₹ 10 to 28 lakh
  6. Industrial Engineering – ₹ 11 to 29 lakh
  7. Aerospace Engineering – ₹11 to 34 lakh
  8. Civil Engineering – ₹ 14 to 22 lakh
  9. Biomedical Engineering – ₹ 14 to 33 lakh

The following universities offer some of the top Master of Engineering programs in Canada:

1. University of Toronto    
Toronto, Ontario    

2. McGill University    
Montreal, Quebec

3. University of British Columbia    
Vancouver and Kelowna, British Columbia    

4. University of Alberta    
Edmonton, Alberta

5. McMaster University    
Hamilton, Ontario    

6. University of Waterloo    
Waterloo, Ontario    

7. Western University    
London, Ontario    

8. University of Calgary    
Calgary, Alberta    

9. Queen's University    
Kingston, Ontario

The following institutions offer admission to the Canadian Master of Engineering program: 

  • International students are required to possess a four-year bachelor's degree in engineering.
  • Depending on the university and program, GRE scores may be required.
  • English language proficiency test scores are required. You might have to give IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE.
  • CV/resume
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Academic transcripts
  • Letters of Recommendation
  • Study Permit for Canada
  • Student Visa for Canada

The following are some numbers for various expenses per month in CAD:

  • Accommodation – 1,412-2,237
  • Health insurance – 650
  • Food – 2700
  • Transportation – 308-400
  • Clothing – 600
  • Books & supplies – 1,200-1,750
  • Other expenses – 2,220
  • Estimated Total – 9,000

In addition, the level of experience affects compensation. An entry-level engineer, for instance, may make about CAD 49,000 a year, but senior management might make about CAD 92,000. For C-suite roles, this remuneration may amount to CAD 137,000 annually.

Completing a certificate, diploma, or degree at least eight months long qualifies you for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which enables you to stay in Canada and work full time. You can work in any occupation in Canada, even one unrelated to your studies, and you don't need a job offer to apply.


Have another Question?
Get Answers from Experts within 12 hours