Can I apply for Student Visa in Canada or UK, if I have a year gap of 3 years?

I have a 3 year gap from 2015-2018 after my High School studies. After that I have completed an Diploma Course in Interior Designing & I am currently Working as an Interior Designiner with 2 year Experience.

Asked by Vishakh Divakaran over 1 year ago

Answers 1
Saumya Chadha

Saumya Chadha

MentR-Me Team

Study Abroad Expert


Talking about Canada first, in general, a 2-year study gap is appropriate for undergraduate students, and a 5-year study gap is suitable for postgraduate students in Canada. You should, however, check with the university or college where you plan to enroll.

In Canada, the following reasons for gaps are accepted:

- Retake of tests due to poor results
- An unexpected family emergency
- Health issues
- Psychological or mental illnesses
- Even after graduation, unemployed

- Students must produce an experience certificate to the college if they worked for a few months and then departed for some reason. A compensation slip or arrangement letter would suffice if you don't have an experience certificate.

Now, if we talk about the UK -

No one can stop you from going to study in the United Kingdom with a gap if you have a solid Study record, work experience, and a valid reason for the gap. If you are an undergraduate and want to pursue your graduation in the UK, then an interval of up to 2 years is allowed, and a gap of 5 years is permitted for postgraduate students in the UK. However, some universities in the United Kingdom offer courses or programs to students with an eight-year gap. So you will not experience any difficulty getting a study visa after 8 years gap.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.


Have another Question?
Get Answers from Experts within 12 hours