Students always lookout for the best countries to complete their masters. Indeed, there are many countries to choose from, but the USA holds the topmost position among these. The United States is home to top-ranked universities and diverse ethnicities. The United States will offer you to grow academically, socially and culturally. It houses the world's best colleges with special science programs.
Table of Contents
- Why should you study MS in the United States?
- Admission to study master in the USA
- What are the requirements for Admission to the master's program?
- What are the eligibility criteria to study master in the USA?
- 3A list of Top universities to study master in the USA.
- A list of popular programs to study master in the USA.
- What should you consider while selecting a University in the USA for the MS program?
- List of the top-paying job opportunities after study master in the USA along with the average salary.
- How can you apply for a study master in the USA?
- What is the cost to pursue a study master in the USA?
- Apply for the Scholarship to study master in the USA.
- What are the documents required for a Student Visa in the United States?
Despite the fact that the USA offers the best facilities to study MS, there are many doubts in students' minds. So here, we are clarifying all the things that one must know before applying for MS in the USA.
Why Should You Study MS in the United States?
The USA has always been a magnet to attract students. Let's discuss the top 5 benefits to study master degree in USA:
- Top-ranked Universities- The first reason to consider the USA for an MS program is the top-ranked universities. The USA offers some of the world's best universities with a broad range of degrees and programs. These universities include Stanford University, Harvard University, University of Chicago, California Institute of Technology and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Enriched Classroom experience with well-established academic standards- An extraordinary experience is a must for any student who is willing to study. The universities in the USA provide their students with an excellent environment to learn from flexible methods. These universities strengthen the basics of their students and efficiently push them out of their comfort zone to aid their academic experiences. The universities in the United States are well known for focusing on experiment-based learning.
- Promising work opportunities after Postgrad- Study master degree in USA because it provides access to excellent work opportunities after the degree. In fact, universities in the United States offer to attend workshops and events while pursuing your master's. It helps their students to find the best possible opportunities in their field.
- Flexibility in academics- The United States universities have a wide range of specializations in MS degrees. For instance, MS in Automobile Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science and many more. Also, the students can freely customize the course according to their preferences.
- Best research and networking opportunities- Students get the chance to pursue in-depth research work in their field that helps them write the thesis. In addition, study master degree in USA provide excellent networking opportunities. Students can quickly establish a network of professionals by interacting with alumni at events and conferences.
- Opportunity to learn professional skills- US universities offer students to learn academic skills and help them learn valuable professional and life skills. These skills include money management, time management and attaining a work-life balance.
Admission to Master Degree in USA
What are the requirements for admission to study master degree in USA?
Let's discuss some of the basic requirements that are similar to most of the universities in the United States:
- Proof of application fee payment- Some colleges might ask you for proof of payment if you haven't paid the fee online. Therefore, it is always advisable to keep the document ready beforehand.
- Statement of purpose- The document that can help you stand out among other applicants is your statement of purpose (SOP). An SOP includes the candidate's objectives and responsibilities throughout the program. Therefore, writing the SOP with utmost care and proper dedication is always advisable.
- Letters of Recommendations- Recommendation letters from employers or professors are a must for admission in the USA.
- Academic transcripts- It includes all the qualifications that have been listed in the application form by the candidate.
- Class 10th or equivalent certificate.
- Class 12th or equivalent certificate.
- Bachelor's degree certificate.
- Scorecard of GMAT/GRE/IELTS/TOEFL.
- Job experience certificate, if applicable.
- Photocopies of your passport (first and last page).
- Bank statement and photocopies of all other listed documents.
What are the eligibility criteria to study ms in the USA?
- A graduate degree with a total of 16 years of education- To enroll for a master degree in usa usually requires 16 years of education, i.e., 12+4.
- A good GPA- To study MS in the USA, it is better to maintain a good GPA. More the GPA, the greater will be your chances to get admission to the top-ranked universities in the USA.
- A good GRE score- Always try to maintain your GRE score above 325 because a good GRE is much needed for admission to master's programs in the USA.
- A strong letter of recommendation- Admissions in the USA requires a proper SOP and letter of recommendation from your professors or employees.
Top Universities to Study Master Degree in USA
The USA indeed has a number of top-ranked universities with excellent reputations. To help students find their choice of University, we include a list of the top 10 universities to study MS in the United States:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is ranked no. 1 across the globe. It is a university-funded by the US government that offers more than 50 degrees for master's programs. The courses offered by MIT include MS in Architecture studies, Aeronautics and Robotics, Master in Chemical Engineering Practice, Biological Engineering etc. Keep in mind that the Massachusetts Institute of Technology only picks elite students. Therefore, make sure you excel in your studies and work if you wish to apply for the MS program at MIT.
- Stanford University
Stanford university is the second-best University across the world and is located in Stanford, California. In addition, it is the largest University in the United States in terms of area. Stanford University offers its students with various MS programs, including Physics, Petroleum engineering, Mechanical engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Symbolic Systems and Management Science.
- University of California
Located in Berkley, California, the University of California is a public research university. The University is home to highly acclaimed institutions such as the Space Sciences Laboratory and Mathematical Sciences Research Institute. It is one of the best options for master's programs.
- Harvard University
Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Harvard University is a private Ivy League University in the United States. Harvard University is the oldest University in the US that was established in 1636. The University offers top-quality education to its students. Note that Harvard University Harvard University offers a one-year MS for full-time candidates and a two-year-long program for part-time candidates.
- Princeton University
According to the QS world rankings, Princeton University is ranked 13 and is located in Princeton, New Jersey. In addition, Princeton University offers its students premium quality master's programs.
- University of Chicago
Located in Chicago, Illinois, the University of Chicago was established in 1890. It is a private, ethnically diverse and coeducational hub offering high-quality education in science and technology.
- Johns Hopkins University
Located in Baltimore, Maryland, Johns Hopkins University is the first research university in the United States. It offers the most acceptable degrees in the fields of medical and life sciences. If you are interested in pursuing life sciences and medical subjects, Johns Hopkins University is the best match for you.
- California Institute of Technology
Located in Pasadena, California, the California Institute of Technology is a private doctorate-granting university. It is widely known for its superiority in Natural Sciences. In addition, the California Institute of Technology offers degrees in Material sciences, computer sciences, Aeronautics and many more.
- Columbia University
Established in 1754, Columbia University is located in New York City. It helps students get combined degrees with graduate school of arts and business schools. In addition, the University is well-known to provide hands-on learning experiences.
- Cornell University
Located in Ithaca, New York, Cornell University is ranked 14th according to the QS world rankings. The University is well-equipped with top research facilities to provide the best experience to its students. Cornell University is the best University to study Veterinary Medicine degree.
Popular Programs to Study Master Degree in USA
The United States is a hub of excellent and innovative courses for master's programs. Let's have a look at the popular courses for MS in the United States:
- MS in Marketing- MS in Marketing involves many courses such as marketing analytics, marketing sciences and digital marketing. Columbia University, University of Texas, Florida International University, and University of southern California offer these.
- MS in Business Analytics- More than 150 Universities in the United States offer MS in Business Analytics, including MIT, University of Texas, Michigan State University, and Minnesota.
- MS in Finance- Masters in Finance is an excellent program for those who wish to start their career in the field of finance. There are around 66 universities in the United States which offer an MS in finance, including Columbia University, UC Berkeley, University of Southern California and MIT.
- MS in Computer Science- MS in computer science requires an excellent GRE score to get admission to the top universities in the USA. Universities offering MS in computer science include Stanford University, Harvard University, MIT, and the University of California Berkeley.
- MS in Power Engineering- Power Engineering is a specialization course in the Electrical Engineering domain that mainly talk about surge phenomena, system protection, rotating machinery and distributed systems.
- MS in Life Sciences- MS in Life Sciences comprises the study of living organisms, including animals, plants and human beings. Students interested in molecular biology and biotechnology can also opt for this course in the United States.
What Should You Consider While Selecting the University in the USA for Study Master Degree in USA?
Before selecting the University to study in the United States, there are various factors to consider. Of course, these factors might vary slightly according to one's preference and choice. But we are providing a list of factors that you must keep in mind if you are willing to pursue an MS program in the USA:
- Cost of living and education- It is the top consideration for most of students. Therefore, students often choose universities with lower tuition fees. Although, you can opt for various scholarship programs if the particular University's tuition fee is pretty high.
- University Rankings- Universities with better rankings and worldwide recognition are more beneficial for better carrier opportunities.
- Location of the University- Some students might prefer universities which are located around job and internship opportunities. Also, the individual's choice might depend on the adaptability to that location.
- Placement opportunities- Job and placement opportunities are the most crucial factor while deciding the University. In addition, one must consider the future opportunities regarding the MS program and the University. In recent times, the job opportunities after MS have gained a considerable rise. There are endless placement options after an MS degree. A person having a master's degree is always prioritized over others when it comes to placement. Remember that the universities will not directly land you your dream job. Instead, they help you provide the right platform to find the best possible opportunities. Usually, good universities have tie-ups with various companies in the United States that can also help you find an excellent job option.
- Salary- Salary after the completion of the program also determines the choice of the University. Everybody wants to end up with high-paying jobs. So, it is crucial to consider the salary aspect too.
Top Paying Job Opportunities After Study Master Degree in USA Along with the Average Salary
- CFO or Chief Financial Officer- A CFO is considered to be the most decent and well-paid job in the United States. A Chief Financial Officer can expect an average salary of $132,793 per annum. The students pursuing MS in Finance can expect to get the job opportunity to become a CFO.
- Mechanical Engineer- Engineers are always in high demand, and mechanical engineers are one of them. A mechanical engineer can quickly expect an average salary of $83,546 per annum.
- Software Developer- Software is a new hype these days, and a software developer can easily expect an average salary of $110,000 per annum.
- Operations Manager- Demand for an operation manager never goes out of trend. In the United States, an operation manager can easily expect an average salary of around $120,000 per annum.
- Investment banker- Investment banking is an excellent career option if you are interested in finance. It can easily pay you an average of $98,826 per annum.
- Data Scientist- Many multinational companies hire data scientists with an average salary of $94,000 per annum. Keep in mind that the demand for Data Scientists is increasing worldwide.
- Project Manager- A project manager can easily expect an average salary of $77,000 per annum. In the USA, the Project manager is one of the decent jobs with competitive pay and benefits.
How Can You Apply for an MS Program in the US?
Let's understand the step-by-step process for applying to the United States for an MS course:
- First of all, make sure whether you want to apply for a spring semester or the fall semester.
- The next step includes the proper preparation of GRE and TOEFL, depending on whether you want to apply for the fall or spring season.
- After the successful attempt of the exam, make a list of 10-12 universities that accept the score you have. You can also consider your budget while searching for a university.
- Make sure that your course meets the prescribed academic standards.
- Keep all the above-mentioned documents ready with you for the admission to MS program.
What Is the Cost to Pursue an MS Program in the USA?
Studying MS in the USA can be a lot expensive, and hence, it is better to have an idea of expenses beforehand. Of course, the cost slightly varies depending upon the choice of the University. But it generally includes the cost of daily needs, accommodation, tuition fees, and health and food coverage.
Tuition fees in USA's universities vary depending on whether the University is private or public. Fees in public universities are often less compared to private ones. Also, the cost depends upon the choice of the MS program. It roughly estimates from $10,000 to $55,000 per annum.
For the accommodation part, students often choose to stay at campus. Staying in university accommodations can prove much cheaper than any rental place outside the campus. Depending on the state, accommodation costs roughly $10,000 to $25,000 per annum.
Apply for the Scholarship for Study Master Degree in USA
For most of students, the cost of education is the concerning factor. Many of universities offer scholarships for MS programs to help deserving students. Let's discuss how can you apply for the scholarships in the United States:
- Make sure that you don't miss out on the scholarship deadlines. It is always advisable to plan early if you wish to apply for scholarship programs in the USA.
- Check the eligibility of the scholarship and apply online if you meet the criteria. Note that there are numerous scholarships for students willing to study abroad.
- Ensure that you score well in academics before applying for these scholarships. Although most universities consider undergraduate scores, it is always better to perform well in your 12th grade. Therefore, some universities might also ask for the 12th-grade score while making the final decision.
- Make sure that you mention all your achievements while applying for the scholarship.
What Are the Documents Required for a Student Visa in the United States?
Make sure that you keep the following documents ready with you before applying for a student visa in the USA:
- A passport.
- Application fee payments for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System.
- Acceptance at Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) approved school.
- One photograph in the described format.
- Non-immigrant visa application.
There are a few things you should be aware of and think about after carefully choosing your destination. The first is that there are many colleges and universities in the United States. Traditional universities, trade schools, private schools, public schools, religious schools, and military service academies are some of these establishments.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Should you study MS in the US?
MS program is very vast. Students can easily choose the topics of their interests. Besides, the United States offer an excellent study environment and is one of the favourite study abroad destinations of the students. Studying MS in the US can provide you with excellent career opportunities.
Are there any job opportunities after an MS program?
MS is an emerging field, and hence, it can help you get a lot of job options once you're done with the program.
What are the high-paying job profiles after an MS program in the US?
The high-paying job profiles include finance, computer science, mechanical engineering, petroleum engineering, aeronautical engineering, data science and material science.
What companies can you get in after an MS program in the US?
The United States is home to many largest tech firms and companies. After an MS program in the Us, you can quickly expect a job in Google, Amazon, IBM, Intel Corporation, Apple, Microsoft, Cognizant and Lockheed Martin Corporation.