One of the top destinations for overseas students is the United Kingdom. The return of the UK post-study work visa option for students makes it a desirable place to study in UK without IELTS. However, the majority of British colleges need an IELTS score for admission, which raises a number of issues. Many students believe that IELTS is required in order to get admitted to UK-based universities. However, many colleges accept students without studying in UK without IELTS. One of the most crucial things a student needs to think about before beginning the application process to study in the UK without IELTS is taking the IELTS exam. We will educate you about studying in the UK without IELTS in this article. Candidates may also take the TOEFL and PTE exams in addition to the IELTS to demonstrate their English language skills. You must take the IELTS exam since it will determine how long you may remain. English language competency is a criterion for student visas, and admission to a university is unaffected by this. People can now apply to institutions that provide admission without requiring IELTS exam results if they do not want to take the IELTS or any other English language competency test. However, the institution may have additional requirements that you must meet in order to be admitted. Universities in the UK may require applicants to demonstrate their English language competency using methods other than the results of standardised examinations. You may thus save time, money, and effort by asking the university how it evaluates your English language ability.
What is IELTS ?
International English Language Testing System is referred to as IELTS. The IELTS test evaluates a person's ability to read, write, speak, and listen in English. It is essentially a standardised exam for a student whose home tongue is not English who wishes to demonstrate his or her competency in that language.
Top UK Universities Without IELTS
Many of the UK's highly regarded and internationally renowned universities permit the admission of overseas students without the need for IELTS. Here are all colleges that don't require study in UK without IELTS:
- The University of Essex
- University of Central Lancashire
- The University of Greenwich
- Swansea University
- University of Northampton
- University of Plymouth
- Portsmouth University
- Northumbria University
- Robert Gordon University
- University of Bolton
- London South Bank University
- University of Geneva
- Riga Technical University
- Audencia Nantes School of Mana
- Birmingham City University
- University of Basel
- University of Warwick
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Aston University
- Bangor University
- Brunel University
- The University of Essex
- University of Central Lancashire
Study in UK without IELTS Visa Application
If you can provide the immigration authorities with a letter from the college or university attesting to your eligibility, you may be able to get a student visa for the United Kingdom without taking the necessary IELTS test. The following are the main requirements for a student visa in the UK without IELTS:
- A letter stating that you can apply for a UK student visa without having your IELTS results confirmed by your university.
- An acceptance letter from a British university
- Instead of IELTS, applicants may alternatively take the Secure English Language Test (SELT), which is required by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
Criteria to Study in UK without IELTS
International students are mostly accepted to study in UK without IELTS if they meet the following three requirements:
- If your previous education was done in English - Sometimes, universities ask about a student's previous educational setting. If English was the main language of instruction for all of your courses, the university could accept you without IELTS. If you want to enroll in a master's programme in the UK without taking the IELTS test, you must demonstrate that you finished your undergraduate studies in English.
- Interview - Some institutions could ask applicants to take part in a video interview. By doing so, the organisation will be able to evaluate your level of English understanding and make the best decision. You must ace this interview in order to study in UK without IELTS.
- Class 10 and 12 grades - Sometimes, colleges will consider your grades from your final year of high school. For instance, universities can consider your 10th and 12th grade English exam results of greater than 75% to be proof of your proficiency in the language.
Procedure to Study in the UK Without IELTS
- IELTS-Free Application Process for UK Study - Make a list of the UK colleges and programmes you want to apply to after doing some research. Find out if you qualify to enroll in UK institutions without having taken the IELTS exam. You may search for UK university rankings and admissions criteria on the university website. Examine every UK university that doesn't demand IELTS to choose which is best for your academic and career objectives. The UK university or institution of your choice requires an online application.
- Video or Skype interviews - After your application is shortlisted, video interviews are held to assess your English language ability. Furthermore, it shows that you want to be admitted to universities. If you wish to study in UK without IELTS university, you must give your best effort in this interview.
- Costs of Education in the UK, including Tuition - The UK institutions you applied to without IELTS will issue you an admissions letter if your video interview goes well. It is proof that you have been selected for participation in the programme in which you previously indicated interest. The next step is to pay the tuition for your chosen study programme.
- Request a student visa for the UK - IELTS is starting to come up when it comes to UK student visas. If you have an admission letter from a UK university that does not need IELTS, you can apply for a UK study visa without it. The application process may be finished online by uploading all necessary documents. These are the requirements for student visas to the UK for Indian students without IELTS:
- A filled-out application for a student visa
- A letter of acceptance demonstrating IELTS-free entrance to a UK university.
- A valid passport
- A statement demonstrating your ability to sustain yourself throughout your stay in the UK.
- Depending on the circumstances, you can also be required to supply any further documentation.
- You must provide your biometrics, including a scanned copy of your picture and your fingerprints.
- You can fly to the UK to pursue higher studies once your application for a student visa without IELTS has been approved.
Study in UK Universities Without IELTS
Let's now look more closely at a few of these prestigious UK colleges that provide admission without IELTS.
1. University of Essex
The University of Essex is a famous UK university with over 15,000 students from almost 130 different nations. For having one of the most diverse student bodies in the UK and a long history of campaigning for social change, it was named the University of the Year by the Times Higher Education Awards in 2018. One of the key elements influencing Essex's popularity is how easy the application process is. Students are not forced to take the IELTS exam, despite the fact that it is a requirement for English language competency. There are several ways to complete your application and take part equally in campus life. If you don't meet the IELTS criteria, you might be able to pass our English language requirements by enrolling in a pre-sessional English track rather than taking the IELTS again. Both undergraduate and graduate applicants can enroll in these programmes at the University of Essex International College. programmes at Essex that are well-liked are:
- BA Psychology
- Economics minor with a psychology bachelor's degree
- BSC Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience
- BSc in Cognitive Science
- Integrated Master of Science in Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with Integrated Advanced Research Methods
- Psychology Master’s Degree
- MSC Research Methods in Psychology
- Sport and Exercise Psychology Master’s Degree
- MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuropsychology
2. London Southbank University
London Southbank University is one of the most sought-after colleges for international students wishing to attend school in the UK. According to their qualifications, such as their XII grade point average or their undergraduate degree grades, the college accepts students. Additionally, you can enroll in pre-study English lessons at the university and still get admitted to your selected programme even if you don't have IELTS scores. The greatest choice for studying in the UK without IELTS is London Southbank University since it offers a large selection of courses in several disciplines like the humanities, arts, science, business, and management. The primary courses that London Southbank University offers are as follows:
- BSc in Vehicle Engineering
- BA in Animation
- BSc in Baking Science and Technology
- Business Foundation Course
- Business Law LLB
3. University of Bristol
The University of Bristol, one of the most well-known universities in the UK, was founded in 1595 and provides direct admission for undergraduate programmes through Universities and Colleges Admission Services (UCAS). It is one of the best universities to study in UK for without IELTS and provides part-time and full-time programmes in a number of areas. If you wish to get admitted to the University of Bristol without taking the IELTS, you can choose from various degrees that don't necessarily require language proficiency scores. Additionally, if the University of Bristol has approved the certification, students may enroll in a pre-sessional language programme or pursue an English language certification in their home country. The following primary courses are available at the University of Bristol:
- BSc in Accounting and Finance
- BEng. in Aerospace
- BA in Anthropology
- BA in History
- BSc in Biochemistry
4. University of Sheffield Hallam
One of the best institutions in the UK, Sheffield Hallam University, is located in South Yorkshire. The school provides a wide range of full-time and part-time programmes in several academic areas. Without taking the IELTS exam, you can enroll in an English language course at Sheffield Hallam University's TESOL programme and be prepared to receive the necessary score for language proficiency. The primary specialisations provided by Sheffield Hallam University are as follows:
- Economics and Accounting
- Financial and Accounting
- Applied Social Sciences
- Applied Social Sciences
- Business Analytics
5. University of Greenwich
The location of the University of Greenwich is in London, England. It is a well-known public university with its main campus situated at the Old Royal Naval College because of the high standard of education it offers. It began as a polytechnic school in 1890 and was transformed into a university in 1992. 308 undergraduate and graduate degrees are available from the University of Greenwich in 35 different subjects. It is regarded as London's finest contemporary university by The Times & Sunday Times. Excellent university guide for 2021. International applicants can study in the UK without IELTS if they match the University of Greenwich's minimal entry requirements. These academic standards for admittance are 55% or higher for undergraduate degrees and 70% or better in 12th-grade English.
6. University of Robert Gordon
One of Aberdeen's best universities, Robert Gordon University, was founded in 1992 and is renowned across the world for its engineering, architecture, and technology programmes. It is one of the finest universities for students who want to study in the UK without IELTS exam since they may take part in an 8-week pre-sessional English programme to improve their language skills. Robert Gordon University also offers its own RGU English Proficiency Test for those who want to enroll without first earning an IELTS score. Before commencing your programme, you can take this test at the university where you will be attending class or in your country of residency. Some of the well-known subjects the university offers include practically every field of study, and it offers a large selection of courses in each one:
- Life Sciences
- Social Work and Law
- Business Administration
- Social Sciences
7. University of Central Lancashire
The Institution of Central Lancashire in Preston, England was established in 1828. It is one of the best and most affordable solutions for international students who wish to study in the UK without IELTS. UCLAN offers a number of UG and PG programmes in more than 45 different subjects. Within six months of graduating, 95.5% of students found employment, according to the Higher Education Statistics Agency. must have obtained an English grade in high school of at least 70%. The most recent qualification must have been given within the previous two years in order to be eligible for an IELTS waiver at UCLAN.
8. Warwick University
On the outskirts of Coventry, the University of Warwick was established in 1965 and is consistently ranked among the best universities in the world. has three main colleges for science, technology, engineering, and medicine as well as the humanities, social sciences, and those three. For those who want to study in UK without IELTS exam, the University of Warwick also offers pre-sessional English training. Enrolling in a course like this allows you to continue working toward the degree you've decided to pursue while showcasing your English language abilities. It provides a broad variety of programmes in several academic areas, such as:
- Literary Studies
Working in the UK without IELTS
You can demonstrate that you passed your examinations with a score of at least 70% by submitting your bachelor's or master's level academic records if you wish to apply for a UK post-study work visa without taking the IELTS. For the UK work visa without IELTS, applicants may also submit IELTS UKVI with four stripes (all), which is easier to score. When the Graduate Route opens in 2022, anybody with a UK degree and a Tier 4 visa will be eligible to apply. Following are some instances of postgraduate courses that may be taken in the UK:
- A one-year master's degree beginning no earlier than the academic year 2022–2021
- A 2-year Master's degree program beginning in the academic year 2020–21 or later
- A doctoral or master's degree in three years (or more) beginning with the academic year 2019–20 or later.
It is possible to study in UK without IELTS if you apply to specific institutions that have alternative requirements, such as more than 60% evidence of English in classes XI and XII, an undergraduate degree in English, or a pre-sectional language course available to international students. Some of the top UK institutions that don't require IELTS are Northumbria University, University of Central Lancashire, University of Greenwich, Swansea University, University of Northampton, University of Plymouth, and University of Portsmouth.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it possible to study in UK without IELTS?
Yes, it is possible to study in UK without IELTS. For this, you should have to fulfill English requirements such as having a proof of over 70% in English in High School or taking an online interview conducted by the university or proof of English as your medium of instruction in your school.
List the name of the universities that allow students to study in UK without IELTS.
The name of the UK universities that allow students to take admission without IELTS are the University of Warwick, Birmingham City University, University of Bristol, Robert Gordon University, University of Greenwich, Portsmouth University, etc.
Can I apply for UK visa without IELTS?
Yes, you may get a UK study visa without IELTS. For this, you can show the immigration authorities a certificate from the university where you have been admitted specifying that you are eligible for a study visa without IELTS.