What is Data Science?Top schools, programs, fees and applications?
Asked by Nana Rai almost 2 years ago
I won’t go into much technical terms, I will explain what data science is in the easiest way possible and then I will tell you what are top 5 schools around the globe to study data science.
Let me tell you what data science is in the most simplest terms you would ever come across. So, if you play fantasy games, then you must have placed your bets after watching the past performances of teams, players, weather conditions, playground, opposite teams, right? And on the basis of those factors you decide on which side you need to place your bet.
Data science is the same, here the team, player, weather conditions are the data and the bets are placed is the informed decision. Data science is the analysis of data and predicting the different trends in the market and making decisions in accordance to those insights.
These are the top 5 schools and programs with their approximate fees structure and application:-
1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT):- There are some universities and schools that doesn’t need an introduction, their name is enough to speak their worth, and MIT is one of those institutes for students who want to start their careers in data science, MIT is providing a 12 months program - Master of business analytics.
It is a STEM designated program and for international students, there is also a provision to further extend their training by 24 months after the completion of the program. The approximate fees of the 12 month program is $85,250. The application process includes GMAT score, video statement, LOR , essays and resume.
2. University of Sussex:- The name of the program is Data Science MSc. It is a 1 year full time and 2 year part time program. And let me tell you one good news and that is that most of the course is project based therefore you will be getting a lot of practical exposure and real life problems of data science which will help you in boosting up your CV.
The fees for the program is £18,975. The application process requires your IELTS score, personal statement, resume and essay.
2. University of Oxford:- I don’t think that there is anyone who doesn’t know about Oxford university, it is one of the oldest universities in the world. Oxford provides an MSc in social data science, but one thing that you must keep in mind is that this course mainly focuses upon social data. The duration of the course is 10 months full time.
The fees of the course is £28,560. The application process includes your CV, financial statement, statement of purpose, letter of recommendation, TOEFL and statement of marks as well.
4. University of Southern California (USC):- USC provides a MS in business analytics as well as a graduate certificate in business analytics. Just like the University of Sussex, this course can also be done in both full time and part time. I forgot to tell you what part time is, if you want to study while doing your job, then you can opt for a part time course.
The tuition fees of the course is $72,501. The application process requires your GRE/GMAT scores, video statement, essays, Letter of recommendation and resume.
5. University of Edinburgh:- If you want a rigorous program in data science then this university of Scotland would be the one for you. Their 1 year program named, MSc in business analytics is considered as one of the top programs around the globe to train students in the field of data science.
And here is a bonus for you, the school also provides an MSc in marketing and business analytics if you want to master both the fields. The tuition fees of the program is £27,500
Application process requires your personal statement, references, official transcript and degree certificate. I assume that you may know this, but let me tell you again for confirmation, that your references should be academic if you have graduated less than 2 years ago otherwise professional reference from your most recent employer.
Have another Question?
Get Answers from Experts within 12 hours