Is overall 6 band and 5.5 in writing and reading is applicable for canada?
Asked by Simran 11 months ago
Not really. To get admission into canadian universities, you need to target a minimum of 7.0 IELTS score. The exact score requirement varies across courses and schools but this is an average score and is accepted by a majority of universities in Canada. You have two options. The first is, to prepare well and give another attempt for IELTS. You can check out the FREE IELTS resources here for the same.
The second option is that you target schools which do not require an IELTS Score at all. There are various universities that take into account other language proficiency test scores which are relatively easier like TOEFL, Duolingo, etc and some universities have their own language testing parameters. Here’s a list of the best schools in Canada that you can consider along with the criteria that you need to fulfil in place of IELTS:
University of Winnipeg
- The university has its own English Language Program (ELP) which you need complete with the prescribed score.
- The university offers the Intensive English Language Program (IELP) for those who can’t provide English language proficiency scores.
University of Saskatchewan
- Who can’t prove their English proficiency can take up the U-PREP program at the University of Saskatchewan Language Centre (USLC) before beginning their chosen course.
University of Regina
- This university accepts several alternatives like TOEFL, TOEFL iBT, Duolingo, and CAEL scores for admissions to UG and PG programs.
- The language proficiency of students is evaluated upon arrival, and those who do not meet the prerequisites will have to take up English language courses before beginning their chosen program.
Let me know if you need any further information or assistance regarding applying to any of these schools.
Have another Question?
Get Answers from Experts within 12 hours