I have 15 years of education in BSc and working with one MNC. I want to do masters in Canada, do I need to do PG first or can I do masters directly?

Asked by Nikhil about 2 years ago

Answers 1
Joshua Borisova

Joshua Borisova

Founder & CEO at TAXA

You should be aware that most colleges require 16 years of schooling (12+4) from applicants as a qualifying requirement if you intend to pursue a master's in the United States or Canada.

However, Bachelor's degree programmes like BSc, BCom, BBA, BBM, BMM, and others are finished in India in three years. Thus, a student will have completed only 15 years of education by the time they have earned their Bachelor's degree (12+3). This can make transferring with a 3-year bachelor's degree into postgraduate programmes at overseas institutions uncertain.

Well, the good news is several universities accept 15 years of education for some of their postgraduate programs.

A two-year master's degree is required if you have a three-year bachelor's degree. However, only a small number of universities also accept three-year Bachelor's degrees with 15 years of study.

Universities in Canada that require 15 years of schooling plus three years of undergraduate study for a master's degree:

  1. Schulich School of Business
  2. York University
  3. Ted Rogers School of Management
  4. Ryerson University
  5. The University of British Columbia, Sauder School of Business
  6. The University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management

Some universities recognise only 16 years (12 + 4) of education to complete specific postgraduate programmes. Students are urged to contact the admissions offices of all the universities they are considering.

There are various ways to travel to your ideal location if your selected institution or postgraduate programme is within the 16-year limit.

You could transfer during your undergrad to a university in the United States or Canada for your third and fourth years of college. You might need to repeat a year, but doing so would lengthen your undergraduate studies by a year and meet the requirement.

You can also obtain a one-year postgraduate degree from an Indian university, such as an M.Com, and then apply to universities abroad to pursue a Master's or PhD.

Another choice is to enrol in a P.G. Diploma or pre-MBA programme at an international university before applying for the degree programme. For further details on this, speak with the admissions committee of each university separately.

Additionally, you can have the World Education Services evaluate your degree (WES). This nonprofit organization offers credential review services to international students hoping to pursue studies in the United States and Canada.

WES accepts some Indian 3-year undergraduate degrees equal to American ones, but only if achieved in the Division-1 division.

The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) of India have awarded the university that offers the undergraduate degree an accreditation grade of "A" or higher. I hope this made things a little clearer. Let me know if you have any more doubts.


Have another Question?
Get Answers from Experts within 12 hours