Table of Contents
- All about Purdue University
- MEM at Purdue
- Application Process
- Application Deadlines for MEM at Purdue
- Document checklist for admission to MEM
- Cost of pursuing MEM at Purdue
- Graduate Housing facilities at Purdue
- Career Opportunities after MEM at Purdue
- Annual Median Salaries of Purdue MEM Graduates
- Top recruiters hiring MEM graduates from Purdue
- Is MeM at Purdue a good choice for you?
- Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
All about Purdue University
Purdue University is a public educational institution situated in West Lafayette, Indiana, USA. It was founded in 1869. Purdue University has been ranked as the top 10 public universities in America by the Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education, 2022. To put a cherry on the top, Purdue is the 4th best graduate engineering school by the U.S. News & World Report, 2022. The university is best known for its research in some top-ranking disciplines like engineering, pharmacy, business, and agriculture—the university epitome of imagination, discovery, ingenuity, and innovation.
Purdue University accommodates more than 39,000 students from all 50 states in the USA and 130 countries. The university comprises 13 colleges offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Some of the university's famous colleges include the College of Engineering, Krannert School of Management, College of Education and College of Pharmacy. In addition, the College of Engineering in Purdue has the esteemed School of Aeronautics and Astronautics, popularly known as the “Cradle of Astronauts.”
Purdue University offers a vast range of activities and organizations besides academics. For example, students at Purdue can engage in several performance groups like the “All American” Marching Band, six jazz bands, and two symphony orchestras. Not only music, but students can participate in sports through “The Boilermakers” and “Purdue’s athletic team.” Both these groups are well known for male and female basketball teams.
Purdue University also offers free online courses for those inquisitive learners. It's Purdue’s way of serving society in general.
Interested learners can choose from the following list of programs:
- Biological Principles in Wastewater Treatment
- BMI for Construction
- Introduction to Quantum Science and Technology
- Physico/Chemical Processes of Environmental Engineering
- Fibre Optic Communications
- Fundamentals of Transistors
- Nanophotonic Modeling
- Boltzmann law: Physics to Computing
- Fundamentals of Current Flow
- Applied Quantum Computing III: Algorithm and Sofware
- Solid State Devices 1
- Modern Biotechnologies for Wastewater Treatment
- Applied Quantum Computing II: Hardware
- Introduction to Quantum Transport
- Quantum Networking
- Quantum Detectors and Sensors
- Computer Applications of Artificial Intelligence and e-Construction
- Wave-Based NDT Methods
- Nutrient Removal and Resource Recovery in Wastewater
- Quantum Detectors
- Groundwater Contamination
- Electrical-Based Non-Destructive Testing and Sensing
- Wells Hydraulics
- Personal Finance
MeM at Purdue
MeM stands for Masters in Engineering Management. Purdue offers MSE/MS degree programs to students from any engineering field and selective maths and science fields. The MeM program at Purdue is specifically designed to broaden in-depth knowledge and skills in engineering, business management, and leadership.
Purdue offers two types of degrees in MeM, i.e., Accelerated Engineering Management and Engineering Management with Professional Practice.
|Type of MeM Program||Duration of Program||Specialized Knowledge provided||Estimated Yearly Tuition Fees(USD)|
|Accelerated Engineering Management||1 year||Engineering knowledge in systems engineering and business leadership at an advanced pace.|
|Engineering Management with Professional Practice|
(21-month program including 12-month co-op assignment in industry.)
|It is explicitly designed for recent college graduates desiring an on-site co-op as part of their graduate experience.|
Students can begin their admission journey in Purdue by creating an account with Purdue Graduate School. MeM at Purdue is a full-time, on-campus program. However, students may opt for one or two online courses only in conjunction with industry co-op semesters.
Now, let’s begin with the application process for admission to MeM at Purdue:
1. First, you are required to create an application account with the university’s graduate school.
2. Next, you need to complete various sections of the application covering the following details:
- Personal background
- Emergency contact details
- Campus and program details
- Educational background
- Employment details
- Other additional information
3. Submit relevant documents including Statement of Purpose, GRE Test scores, English-proficiency exam scores, Resume, Letters of Recommendation, Acknowledgements.
4. Pay the requisite application fees(for international students only) by credit card. Domestic and permanent residents are not required to pay the application fees.
5. Upload all the official transcripts on the online application as a proof of completing higher education. In case you do not have an ABET-accredited engineering degree. International degrees will be considered valid only if you prove to complete math courses of Calculus I & II and either differential equations or linear algebra.
6. Lastly, you must follow up with the school to check your application status online at their official website.
Application Deadlines for MEM at Purdue
The application for engineering management programs must be submitted on or before the following dates:
|Admission session/season||Last Date for each round|
Document checklist for admission to MEM
|Documents Required||Qualification Score||Additional information|
|Transcripts||Minimum GPA score of 3 on a scale of 4 in undergraduate, graduate or professional degree in engineering or STEM-related backgrounds.||It includes all academic records with the original seal/signature of the issuing institution/registrar.|
|Letters of recommendation||Minimum 3 letters of recommendation are to be submitted to prove your credibility and reliability.|
|Statement of Purpose||One statement of purpose is to be submitted with a maximum of 500 words, justifying your motivation behind pursuing the program.|
|Resume||You are required to show work experience prior to joining graduate programs.|
|Graduate Record Examination(GRE)|
The average GRE score in the quantitative section is 164.
The average GRE score in the verbal section is 153.
|It is compulsory for international students. However, it is waived off for Purdue students and alumni.|
|English Proficiency Tests|
|Students coming from non-English speaking nations are required to present these scores. However, a waiver is provided to Purdue students and alumni and some official English-speaking nation students.|
Cost of pursuing MEM at Purdue
When studying MeM at Purdue, beware of the overall cost of living. We have provided a break-up of various costs involved while your stay in Purdue:
|Type of expense||Yearly Expense(USD)|
|Tuition Fees||41,100 - 42,300|
|Books and stationery supplies||1,050|
|Total Estimated Yearly Expense||56,140 - 57,340|
Graduate Housing facilities at Purdue
At Purdue, students can choose to reside in either campus accommodation or off-campus housing.
|Type of Housing facility||Pros||Cons|
Career Opportunities after MEM at Purdue
MeM Graduates from Purdue are entitled to jobs at premium companies around the globe. Purdue University has been home to some of the renowned alumni, including
- Neil Amstrong(the first human to walk on the moon),
- John Wooden(the renowned college basketball coach and player),
- Orville Redenbacher(the popcorn entrepreneur),
- Sam Allen (Chairman and CEO at Deere & Company),
- Jane Boulware (Vice President at Microsoft),
- Susan Bulkeley Butler (Founder and CEO of the SBB Institute, and the first female partner of Accenture).
Most of the graduates from Purdue get placed at top companies within three months of graduation. Around 95% of international students got placed successfully at top companies. Domestic/native students have recorded a 100% job success rate after graduating from Purdue.
Top recruiters hiring MEM graduates from Purdue
MeM at Purdue equips its graduates with the best knowledge in engineering and business management. This opens a broad scope of opportunities, making Purdue a hotspot for top hiring companies. MeM graduates can work in several sectors, including consulting, finance, and technology. A list of top recruiters from different sectors hiring MeM graduates from Purdue are listed below:
|Automobile/equipment manufacturing sector|
Annual Median Salaries of Purdue MEM Graduates
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for engineering management graduates is listed below:
|Position||Median Annual Salary(USD)|
|Supply Chain Manager||96,390|
|Business Intelligence Analyst / Data Analyst||98,230|
|Technical Sales Engineer||108,830|
Is MeM at Purdue a good choice for you?
The combined knowledge of engineering principles and business management skills is in high demand nowadays. Master’s in Engineering Management(MeM) at Purdue hits the right spot in this direction. Purdue aims to develop high-end knowledge in engineering and business management. With a co-op assignment/ internship program of 12 months included in the MeM program, students get industry-ready, thereby increasing their chances of getting placed at the world’s best companies.
MeM program at Purdue is designed especially for engineering students who wish to master business acumen alongside sharpening their engineering skills. Purdue accepts not only engineering students but also students from non-engineering/STEM backgrounds as well. To support this, Purdue offers two-degree objectives:
- MS in Engineering (MSE): This degree is provided to students with engineering backgrounds in their bachelor’s.
- Master of Science (MS): This degree is awarded to students who possess a non-engineering degree in a STEM field.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
Ques.1: Can a non-engineering student pursue a Master’s in Engineering Management(MeM) at Purdue?
Ans.1: Yes, indeed. However, students with an engineering background will have the edge over non-engineering students. If you have a strong will to build your career in engineering management, the bare minimum you require is a bachelor’s degree in a STEM field(Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).
Ques.2: Is work experience required to get admission in MeM at Purdue?
Ans.2: Although work experience is not generally required, prior work experience would help you get better job opportunities after graduation. Even if you don’t have work experience, you can always start with a part-time job in the field that interest’s you.
Ques.3: Are scholarships available to fund for MeM at Purdue?
Ans.3: Currently, there is no scholarship program available for engineering management students. However, if students pursue the 2-year Engineering Management program, they get a paid internship in their 2nd year. Students joining this program are industry-ready to earn good packages after their post-graduation. In case you still need any financial assistance, you can contact the Purdue Division of Financial Aid for information on loan programs.
Ques.4: What is the co-op fees to join the 2-year MEM program with professional practice?
Ans.4: Students willing to pursue the 2-year MEM program must pay the co-op fee of $400.00 per semester, already included in the total program fees.
Ques.5: If an international student has completed their studies at an institute in the USA. Do they still need to give the English proficiency exams for MEM?
Ans.5: No, if you have completed your bachelor's or graduate or doctorate programs from a US-based institution within the past 36 months from the time of admission to the MEM program, then your English proficiency exams can be waived off.
Ques.6: Can I submit my GMAT scores instead of GRE scores for admission to the MEM program?
Ans.6: No, the MEM program at Purdue accepts only GRE scores as an admission criterion.