So you finally decided to do a Master's in Data Science. This is a sure way to boost your career prospects, and it's also a great way to stay connected with the algorithm-eating world.
Did you know that Singapore is the first country in Asia to launch formal degree programs in data science?
In recent years, more and more universities and colleges in Singapore (Singapore National University, NTU, SMU) offer Master's programs in Data Science.
These programs equip graduates with technical skills in conducting end-to-end data analysis and support graduates with greater employability by conducting industry-focused courses and providing valuable internship opportunities.
Studying for a Master's in Data Science in Singapore can lead you to an exciting career in Data Science. In addition, some international students choose to do a Master's degree in Singapore, as it is a safe and friendly country, with many scholarships available through the Singapore government.
Suppose you are an international student looking to do a Master's in data science in Singapore and have no idea about what will be the right university for you. In that case, this article is a must-read for you.
The first thing that comes to mind when you think of Singapore is the country's incredible economic growth over the last 50 years.
It has become one of the top 10 wealthiest countries globally, and one of its key industries is information and communications technology (ICT).
This means that there are plenty of job opportunities for graduates with degrees in computer science and engineering, which is how most data science degrees are structured.
One of the most prominent features of Singapore is its location. It's right at the tip of the Asian continent, which makes it extremely convenient to travel to both mainland China and India.
It also has great connections to Malaysia and Indonesia because they are located next to each other. Singapore is also popular for being a financial hub and commercial capital in this part of the world.
Singapore's geographical location makes it ideal for conducting research in data science. It is strategically located along the busy shipping lanes between China and Europe, and its port is one of the busiest ports in the world.
To further benefit from its location, Singapore has agreements with 20 countries and regions so that they can conduct business across borders without interfering with each other's laws or taxes.
Singapore has been rated as the most business-friendly country in Asia by Forbes Magazine for four years running.
In addition to being a hub for multinational businesses, Singapore hosts many global corporations with their regional headquarters due to its strategic location, skilled workforce, and low operating costs.
Singapore boasts many advantages that make it a great place to study data science.
While the country has never been a leader in the field, Singapore's government has been supportive of educational initiatives and is actively working to strengthen its position as a center for data science and technology.
Singapore's universities have also stepped up their game with several offering specialized programs in data science.
These programs focus on developing skills in data mining, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and big data analysis.
These programs are attractive because top employers around the world recognize them. Graduates will be able to work internationally without going through any additional certification or training beyond their master's program.
In addition, the strong reputation of Singapore's universities will open doors that might not otherwise be available.
In addition to being recognized internationally, most of these programs are practical. They do not focus on theory alone; instead, they emphasize hands-on, real-world experience using some of the latest technologies available.
Students will learn how to work with large volumes of data, write computer code and use state-of-the-art tools like Apache Hadoop and R programming language.
Lastly, the cost of studying in Singapore is much lower than studying in other countries like the United States or Canada.
Visa & Other Requirements
- Application form for international students.
- An updated Passport.
- A passport-sized photograph (less than 6 months old)
- Visa application fee.
- Original bank statements from all sponsors for the last 28 days.
- Mark sheets - from 10th grade to the most recent degree received
- The sponsor must sign an affidavit of support on Rs.20 stamp paper (non-judicial)
- Certificate of Work Experience
- Fixed Deposit Receipts (if applied)
- Letter of Bank Loan sanction (if applied)
Applicants are urged to submit their applications at least two months before the start of the course.
Officially translated versions, as well as copies in the original language, are necessary if the required documents are not in English.
- A good Bachelor's Degree in a quantitative discipline (mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer science, etc.) from a reputed university or institution is preferred.
- If your first language is not English, you will need an IELTS score of 6.0 equivalent with no component below 5.5. Some Universities have a higher bar for the English proficiency test scores.
- Should meet course requirements for Mathematics and English.
- Should submit work experience details if required.
- Should score requisite marks in Class XII.
Best Universities to do Master's in Data Science in Singapore
There are plenty of options available for people who want to study data science in Singapore. Now, let's find out which universities offer the best programs and careers in the field of data science.
1. National University of Singapore (NUS):
The National University of Singapore (NUS) is one of the top-ranked universities in Asia. It is also the first university in Singapore to offer a Master of Science degree in Data Science.
The MSDS program emphasizes the interrelationship between data analysis and its application to problems arising from real-world situations.
The curriculum also ensures that students acquire a strong foundation in relevant areas such as business, statistics, computer science, and analytics, providing them with a highly sought-after combination of skills and knowledge.
In addition to this, NUS has a very strong track record for many years when it comes to data science research. It was ranked number 1 globally by Programming Community Index (PCI) for two consecutive years in 2015 and 2016.
The university was also ranked 2nd in the PCI rankings of 2015 and 2017 for industry partnership and 4th globally for publication impact by Science Watch in 2016.
The program also features an "accelerated" option that allows students to obtain their Master's degree in just 16 months instead of 24 months if they have completed a Bachelor's Degree with at least second class honors or its equivalent.
The Master's in Data Science program of NSU costs roughly ₹12.9 Lakhs/per year.
The duration of this course is one year, and it is a full-time offline- on-campus course.
2. PSB Academy:
The coursework curriculum is designed by industry experts and covers topics like data analytics, data communication, databases, cloud computing, big data analytics, machine learning, business intelligence, social media mining, and big data engineering.
The two Master's in data science in Singapore at PSB Academy are the most practical and globally-applicable education programs among all Master's in Data Science in Singapore. PSB Academy (Ngee Ann Polytechnic) is an Institute of Higher Learning established by the Ministry of Education, Singapore.
It is one of the largest polytechnic institutions in the region.
PSB Academy offers two Master's in data science in Singapore:
- Master of Science (Information Security and Assurance): This program is ideal for professionals who are interested in learning how to extract meaningful insights from datasets. The emphasis is on using advanced techniques from statistics, computer science, and business intelligence to address real-world problems. The rigorous curriculum will prepare you for success as a data scientist or information security professional.
- Master of Science (Data Science & Business Analytics): This program will equip you with the skills necessary to make sense of large amounts of data from different sources, including those that are unstructured, such as digital media and social media. You will learn how to use advanced analytical techniques, develop complex algorithms, and work with both structured and unstructured data to derive valuable information for organizations.
The Master's in Data Science program at PSB Academy costs roughly ₹20.9 Lakhs/per year.
The duration of this course is one year, and it is a full-time offline- on-campus course.
3. Nanyang Technological University (NTU):
Established in 1991, NTU is based in the south part of Singapore, known as the Garden City. The campus has been designed to resemble a park with its lush greenery and modern architecture.
The university has a strategic partnership with IBM, which enables students to work on real-life projects on cloud computing and analytics.
The Master of Data Science is a two-year full-time program offered by Nanyang Technological University (NTU). The program aims to equip students with the knowledge and skills required to become data scientists and big data analytics consultants.
Students will be allowed to learn the state-of-the-art methods, theories, and tools related to all aspects of data science, including data mining and machine learning, big data analytics, the Internet of Things (IoT), business intelligence, and natural language processing (NLP), and theory of computation.
The key advantages that you will take as part of your data science degree at NTU will include:
- Because NTU's Business School offers it, you can expect a very business-oriented education that focuses on the use of data science in businesses. The program has been designed with input from industry leaders and companies and includes topics such as big data analytics, machine learning, and cloud computing.
- You will have access to high-profile faculty members who have years of experience working in their respective fields. Some examples include Dr. Michael Brooks, who is considered a leading expert in his field and has used his expertise in machine learning to develop solutions to problems faced by companies around the world. He also founded Evolva, which was sold for $300 million after just 3 years.
The Master's in Data Science program at Nanyang Technological University (NTU) costs roughly ₹25.2 Lakhs/per year.
The duration of this course is one year.
Job Opportunities after MS in Data Science in Singapore
Singapore is one of Asia's most important technology and business hubs, and as a result, this industry is experiencing enormous expansion. According to LinkedIn's '2020 Emerging Jobs Report Singapore,' data scientist positions are among the top five in the country.
The IT industry, banks, student recruiting agencies, and other financial institutions hire the majority of people in this field. There are also excellent opportunities in the healthcare, electronics, and real estate sectors.
Almost everyone out there today with an ambition to pursue Data Science is well aware of the job profile of being a data scientist.
We won't waste your time by giving you repetitive information about being a data scientist and what it requires. Let's take a look at some other interesting & equally prospering job profiles that you can work in after completing your MS in Data Science in Singapore.
1. Machine learning specialists:
The scope of machine learning specialists in Singapore is wide and includes:
- Developing and implementing machine learning solutions in social media marketing.
- Machine Learning as a Service (MLaaS) Providers
- Implementing VPA solutions for banks and insurance companies
- Working with Data scientists in Singapore on predictive models for retail and e-commerce customers
- Working with researchers in academia to develop better algorithms for cancer detection, disease prediction, etc.
The scope for Machine Learning specialists in Singapore has never been broader. The total number of job opportunities in this field has increased by 15% between 2021 and 2022, according to McKinsey Global Institute's research report.
The reason why there is so much demand for machine learning experts lies in the fact that these people possess the ability to translate mountains of information into actionable insights that can be used by various organizations across all industries (especially marketing and finance).
2. Data architects:
Data Architect is the person who finds out the ways to analyze the data and gather information from it. The job of a Data Architect is to make sure that the company can use its data effectively, promoting leaner processes and better decision-making, among others.
As a Data Architect in Singapore, you will be under a little pressure in this job role because of your commitment to delivering quality results. You need to have good programming skills and knowledge about Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
Your ability to work with different teams like Business Intelligence, Information Technology, or Engineering is another necessary skill for you because these people will help you in achieving your goals.
Data Architects are in high demand right now, with a global shortage of talent. The money being poured into the industry is immense.
And the thing that sets data architects with a good master's degree apart from everyone else is that they have experience working with large data sets.
Data Architecture jobs in Singapore are going to continue to increase over the next decade, and those who can offer their services with excellence will be able to make very good money doing it.
3. Business intelligence developers:
Financial institutions engage business intelligence (BI) engineers to provide analytical tools. They provide new business intelligence tools and apps to assist customers in learning how to use firm goods.
They also devise data-savvy ways to boost the company's analytical procedures and methodologies.
You have to be creative while working as a business intelligence developer as it requires coming up with innovative ideas and solutions regularly.
According to Payscale.com, the average yearly income for BI developers in Singapore is around S$60,632.
Data Science is a highly developing field, and with developments, it attracts a lot of confusion and misguidance about where to start your journey in data science.
Making the right decision in the initial stages is very important in deciding how successful you are going to be in the future. I hope we were able to help you in finding out the best opportunities for you.
All the Best !